Fried Dumplings Ingredients
- 2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
Ackee Mix Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 325g canned ackee, drained
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 escallion, chopped
- 1 tomato or 3 baby tomatoes, chopped
- ½ sweet pepper, chopped
- 2-5 branches of thyme
- Salt and pepper, to your taste
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Inactive Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- Serves: 4 People
How To Make Fried Dumplings?
- In a bowl, sieve and mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add butter and mix using your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Begin to pour in the milk while mixing and stirring in a circular motion.
- The dough should start to resemble very coarse crumbs.
- Add more milk and continue to gently mix until forming a soft dough.
- If the dough is too sticky, dust in a tablespoon of flour but If the dough is to dry, add a little more milk and form together.
- To smooth dough, knead until smoother.
- Cover the bowl with cling film or a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 4 to 6 pieces.
- Using your hands, roll each piece into balls, then flatten until to a disc shape. Place on a floured surface.
- Using a pan, on medium heat add oil until it reaches 2 inches in depth.
- When the oil is hot, add each piece of dough to the pan.
- Immediately turn each piece of dough as this helps the dumpling to swell.
- Fry in hot oil until each side are golden brown, about 30-40 seconds each side
- To remove some of the grease, place the dumplings on a paper towel.
- Cut each fried dumpling in half, horizontally.
- Serve with ackee.
How To Cook Ackee (No Saltfish)?
- Using the pan, on medium heat add 3 tablespoons of oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions, escallion, sweet peppers, tomatoes, thyme and saute until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Gently stir in the ackee, for about 2 minutes. Ackee is very delicate, be careful to not over cook as it melts quickly.
- Cut each of the fried dumplings in half, horizontally.
- Add the ackee mixture inside of each dumpling.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!