- 1 tin of young green jackfruit in brine/water, soften and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon of salt or to your taste
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoons of all purpose seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch of scallions chopped
- 1 thumb of ginger freshly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- ½ scotch bonnet / hot pepper, chopped (do not include the seeds)
- 8 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons of cornstarch / cornflour
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cups of water
- Sprig of fresh thyme / chopped scallions for garnish (optional)
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Inactive Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 65 Minutes
- Serves: 4 People
How To Marinate The Jackfruit?
- To a mixing bowl, add the following ingredients: jackfruit, salt, black pepper, ginger powder, onion powder, paprika, all-purpose seasoning and allspice.
- Mix and toss all the ingredients together until evenly coated.
- Add to the bowl the chopped and diced yellow onion, scallions, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, thyme, tomatoes, bell peppers and scotch bonnet.
- Mix and toss all the ingredients together until evenly coated. Cover the bowl, refrigerate and let marinate for 15 minutes.
How To Make Browning Sauce and Cook?
- Add oil and brown sugar to a large pot or pan on low heat. Stir occasionally to stop it from burning, about 2-3 minutes.
- When the sugar completely melts into a brown sauce, add in the marinated jackfruit and vegetables.
- Continuously stir until brown sauce covers all sides of the jackfruit.
- Pour 1 cup of water mixed with cornstarch into the stew.
- To thicken and for flavouring, add ketchup to the stew.
- On low heat, stir occasionally and simmer until jackfruit is tender and the sauce has simmered to half, about 30 minutes.
- Allow your Jackfruit Brown Stew to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme and a few chopped scallions (optional).
- Sugar browning alternative: store-bought browning stew marinade.
- Storage: Leftovers can be kept in a Tupperware and reheated the next day.
- Side dishes: Food that complements brown stew include rice and peas, mac and cheese, fried plantain and jackfruit coleslaw.